The Commission shall consist of a minimum of five members and a maximum of seven members. They shall consist of at least four members and up to six members at large and one member from the town council and shall be appointed by the town council. One member may be a member of the administrative branch of government of the town. They shall be residents of the town qualified by knowledge and experience to make decisions on questions of community growth and development provided, however, that at least one-half of the members so appointed shall be owners of real property. The term of the member from the town council, and from th administrative branch, if there are any, shall be coextensive with the term of office to which he or she has been elected or appointed, unless the town council, at the first regualr meeting each year, appoints others to serve as their representatives. Appointments of members shall be for staggered terms of four years each, unless the town council shall desire to establish different terms of office. Vacancies shall be filled by appointment for the unexpired term only. Members may be removed for malfeasance.
The members of the commission, as now constituted or hereafter appointed, may receive a salary to be fixed by the town council by resolution, not to exceed $300.00 per annum for each member. The salary of the members of the commission, if any, when fixed, shall so continue until changed by the council, and shall be payable out of the treasury of the town in monthly installments.
The commission shall fix the time for holding regular meetings, but it shall meet at least every two months. Special meetings of the commission may be called by the chairperson or by two members upon written request to the secretary. The secretray shall mail to all members, at least five days in advance of a special meeting, a written notice fixing the time and place of the meeting and the purpose thereof. Written notice of a special meeting is not required if the time of the special meeting has been fixed at a regular meeting, or if all members are present at the special meeting or file a written waiver of notice.
Officers and Employees: Expenditures, Rules and Records, and Special Surveys
The commission shall elect from the appointed members a chairperson and a vice-chairperson, whose terms shall be for one year. The commission may:
- Create and fill such other offices as it awards necessary
- Appoint such employees and staff as it deems necessary for its work
- Contract with consultants for such services as it requires
The expenditures of the commissions, exclusive of gifts or grants, shall be within the amounts appropriated for such purpose by the town council.
The commission shall adopt rules for the transaction of business and shall keep a record of its transactions which shall be a public record. Upon request of the commission, the town council or other public officials may, from time to time, for the purpose of special surveys under the direction of the commission, assign or detail to it any members of the staffs of town administrative departments, or the town council or other public official may direct any such department employee to make for the commission special surveys or studies requested by the commission.
To effectuate Code of Virginia, § § 15.2-2200--15.2-2327, the planning commission shall:
- Exercise general supervision of, and make regulations for, the administration of its affairs
- Prescribe ruels pertaining to its investigations and hearings
- Supervise its fiscal affairs and responsibilities, under rules and regulations as prescribed by the town council
- Keep a complete record of its proceedings; and be responsible for the custody and preservation of its papers and documents
- Make recommendations and an annual report to the town council concerning the operation of the commission and the status of planning within its jurisdiction
- Prepare, publish and distribute reports, ordinances and otehr material relating to its activities
- Prepare and submit an annual budget in the manner prescribed by the town council
- If deemed advisable, establish advisory committees